Saturday, August 18, 2012

A Life Cycle!

Food! During our growth years, in our school days, we are often averse to consuming the food we have been given! We absolutely hate eating and avoid it for as many times as we can. And we usually find one of the most ridiculous of reasons for not eating what we have been given.

The sight of food often triggers a stomach ache or an upset stomach or even a feeling of nausea. And while we are down with temperature, we all know the pampering we get: we are allowed to eat all the things we absolutely love! And the best way to attract fever, or so we had heard in childhood, are onions, and you know where to place them! It doesn’t work! And all you are left with is a disgusting odour of stale onions! Of course, i couldn’t stand the smell and went in for a shower, post the incident! Thankfully, didn’t get caught! A mischief story that was untold till today!

I was a good kid when I was small! Or so my parents would tell you. But like any other child, I too had favourite food items and the not so favourite ones. And obviously, the favourite ones are the ones we don’t/can’t get at home. So obviously, a mere karela/bitter gourd was the most hateful vegetable for me as a kid (Still is!). Spinach was another hateful one. But apart from this I used to love any other vegetable or fruits, fruits being a favourite, even now. Though my current state of health may not be able to confirm that, but nevetheless!

Anyhow, we grow a little older, and come into college! My college was the time that my psychological health grew, and according to my parents, my physical health too! New hostel, new junk food categories and new nuns/sisters from the missionary were just a few new entrants into my life. What also entered my life was a new freedom, away from home, a search for my individual identity, new leaning experiences, a new way of looking at my own life, away from the family dominance. Worked well for me, but not so much for my family because if you go by their word, I got spoilt. But as any teenager would react to that, I strongly disagree!

An increased love for food was a big part of this segment of my life. Food turned into “junk food”. So, coffee with anda-pav, wada pav, omelette roti, anda bhurji became the highlight, along with double fried egg! Vegetables took a back seat, but fruits were still the life saving item from all the junk I was having back then.

This trend continued, with the addition of more coffee, alcohol (Of course), sandwiches and quiches, a definite dessert (better quality, more fattening), after every meal (a childhood habit).

For the other life segments that are still inexperienced, observation has helped me a lot! I see mothers/expecting mothers who have been banned from consuming outside food. A sudden brake from all the junk! How do temperamental and moody women do that? I bet their temperament and mood swings increase, multifold! I pity the husbands, but only for this segment of a woman’s life!

Anyways, this segment of life, with a settled family and children, sees an increased consumption of home made food as
well as the junk. Cravings, is what we have termed it, and we follow it very religiously.

Our life expectancy and survival chances depend highly on how much we have abused our own bodies in the previous quarters and based on that, we get into the next segment, i.e. if at all we do.The last phase forces us to rely on as much medication as possible because our digestive system has given up on us. a realization dawns on us now, if not earlier, that we messed up our bodies so much in the last two quarters, that we are now forced to go back to square one: Only home made food, with less spices, boiled if possible, and a lot if medication, after every meal. We’ve come back an entire circle!

Life, in general, comes back an entire circle. We’ve always been told, “What you give, is what we get!” or even the most scientific of explanations says “Every action has an Equal and opposite reaction!” Some call it “Karma’ and some call it ‘”Destiny”. Either way, all these philosophies, point quite correctly. We need a doze of our own medicine sometimes.

Innumerable lessons later, I am coming to terms with life. Patience, Acceptance, Forgiveness, Love – These are easy to
practice but we usually miss them or sideline them. The result, all these attributes sideline us. They are quite simple to follow, only if you have the realizeation and the willingness to follow.

Life teaches us lessons, one at a time. Every person comes into our lives for a reason, to teach us something we dont know we had to learn.

So appreciate, be patient, accept, forgive and love, just a little more, and see how life rewards you back withall of these and much more!

Have a happy weekend!!!



Life’s Lessons



For more posts from my official blog, please goto www.vikrambawa.org

No comments:

Post a Comment